+5
nichabr
futbol
RealGunner
Kaladin
Bellabong
9 posters

Go down

I won the silicone lottery. Empty I won the silicone lottery.

Post by Bellabong Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:27 pm

So last month my mobo got fried in a power surge and it was time I got a new computer anyways and this time I went big.  

I won the silicone lottery. N8kxcp

I bought an i7 5820k and holy shi- It's stable at 4.7 GHz @ 1.3V. From browsing around it seems most people are struggling to get above 4.4/4.5GHz at higher voltages.

I originally wanted to go with an all-white build with pretty much all the same parts as the above video but with a HOF 980TI instead of two HOF 980's but at the end of the day the mark-up for white Z97 components pained me when I could get an X99 based PC for the same price. As such I present you my final build:

Case: NZXT Noxtis 450
CPU: i7 5820k@4.7GHz@1.3V (60-70C under load)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX (waiting until Avexir comes out with a 16GB DDR4 Raiden kit)
GPU: Galax HOF 980Ti (end of the month)
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W W
SSD: Samsung SM951 256GB (2.150/1.260MB/s read/write Surprised)

Time to make some videos with this beast =D

Last edited by Phritz on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

I won the silicone lottery. Empty Re: I won the silicone lottery.

Post by Kaladin Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Wow, seems you went all out on this one. Are you sure 750w is enough? Seems like you might need more. I'm in need of an upgrade myself but my rig can take it for another year or 2 i think. Anyways how much did it cost to you total hmm
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Well I need a workstation grade gaming PC so I pretty much had to go all out. My old PC was actually pretty fine with its major deficiencies being GPU's with low VRAM and lack of an SSD.

650W is actually enough for a Haswell-E processor and 980Ti and your powersupply actually delivers 650W. Got the best 750W PSU for some overclocking head-room though =D

With the GPU at the end of this month the total price comes up to around 2,500€. A lot of money but for me totally worth it. The most superfluous purchase was probably the SSD but an SSD that's 4 times faster than "standard" SATA3 SSD's makes a huge enough difference for me to justify the price.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:16 pm

i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz

256gb SSD

https://d3ui957tjb5bqd.cloudfront.net/uploads/2015/03/designer-ocd-19.gif

Not had the best of experience with AS rock but i guess the newer ones are probably good.

Fantastic machine man. Did you actually win the lottery though lol? Must have cost A LOT

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Ah with silicone lottery I'm referring to how well your processor can overclock. The base specifications for each processor is the same but the silicone can vary. I could prbably go higher than 4.7GHz but I'm extremely happy with what I got and don't want to go above 1.3V on Vcore.

It's not just any 256GB ssd, it's a Samsung SM951 Razz For the same price I could have bought a 512GB SSD but I wanted speeeeeeeed

It cost a lot but that's more justifiable than spending 200€ on pants. Plus I had the money to spare because of a new job and really low living costs.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Going to rival your machine when I build mine soon.

You didn't mention graphics card
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:35 pm

https://maxict.nl/product/5419589/kfa2-kfa2-geforce-gtx-980-ti-hof-edition-6144-mb-gddr5?btwview=in&rs=tweakers&utm_source=tweakers&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricewatch

Ordering once I get my next paycheck in couple for weeks =D

For gaming you could probably rival my machine (apart form the 980TI bit) by spending like 700€ -800€ less than me on the Mobo/CPU/RAM/PSU xD

I built a workstation, not a gaming PC Razz
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:48 pm

workstation my ass Laughing

those graphics card will even run Metro Last Light smoothly ffs Laughing

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Ahhh, good old times. When I was 15 I was building computers like that. Still remember my modified ATi Radeon 9500 where you could enable 4 additional pixel pipelines with a bios modification and essentially turn it into a Radeon 9700. :bow:

Not using a desktop PC since I've started studying, only my laptop, which is enough to emulate Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 and play Gothic 1 and 2 from time to time, which is all I need, really. After I'm finished I might build a modern high-end gaming machine like that but is it actually worth it? From what I've heard all the games are mainly developed and optimized for consoles (which are lagging behind desktop computers technologically) and there are only badly ported computer versions available. Haven't been up-to-date in these matters for a while now.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Depends on the games, most multi platform games nowadays are optimized for consoles, though there are many instances in which developers optimize it for all consoles (TW3, MGS5)

It all boils down to what your preferences are, do you enjoy Sony/Xbone exclusives? Do you enjoy modding? Do you want to have PC-exclusives? etc
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:47 pm

I'll buy a PS4 anyway once Final Fantasy 7 remake is out, that's out of question. lol I normally prefer role play games like Gothic, Risen, The Witcher etc. or shooters with role play elements like Mafia, Mafia 2, GTA series etc. but when I buy a high-end PC again I'd also like to experience some graphic delicacies. Like Far Cry and Crysis back in the day when they came out. Which games are state-of-the-art right now optically?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Yea what ES said.

I keep buying games on steam that won't run on my current PC, in hoping to play them once I build a new one.

Most important part of choosing which system to play games on depends on your friends. Most of my real life and GL lads are on Ps4 so I prefer that.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:42 pm

A high end gaming machine with a GTX 970 or R9 390 (which are more than enough for max settings at 1080p60fps) shouldn't cost more than around 1000€ since an i3 is enough for gaming (It's been 6 years since the Q6600 which was the first "mainstream" quadcore and there are still very few games which benefit from multi-core CPU's)

Battlefield 4, Ethan Carter, Metro 2033, AC Unity, Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 are the prettiest games I've played.

One of the misconceptions about "optimized for consoles and not optimized for PC" is that nearly all of the time if you run the game at equivalent settings to the console version there are no issues unless the game itself has issues across all platforms (a more and more occurring phenomenon).

The issues usually crop up when you run the games at settings beyond the capabilities of consoles (which isn't really hard, a 140€ GTX 750Ti has the same performance as the consoles at equivalent settings in Witcher 3, BF4, GTAV etc.) and that's where the issues crop up since the higher end settings aren't optimized. Same thing occurs for PC exclusives from time to time
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:12 pm

I'm building a System soon.
CPU : 6th gen i5
MB : MSI Computer ATX DDR4 Motherboard Z170A GAMING M7
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB(2x8g sticks)
PS : EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2(rebranded super flower)
SSD : Crucial 500GB
Case : Sentey Optimus BLK/RED
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Phritz wrote:A high end gaming machine with a GTX 970 or R9 390 (which are more than enough for max settings at 1080p60fps) shouldn't cost more than around 1000€ since an i3 is enough for gaming (It's been 6 years since the Q6600 which was the first "mainstream" quadcore and there are still very few games which benefit from multi-core CPU's)

Battlefield 4, Ethan Carter, Metro 2033, AC Unity, Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 are the prettiest games I've played.

One of the misconceptions about "optimized for consoles and not optimized for PC" is that nearly all of the time if you run the game at equivalent settings to the console version there are no issues unless the game itself has issues across all platforms (a more and more occurring phenomenon).

The issues usually crop up when you run the games at settings beyond the capabilities of consoles (which isn't really hard, a 140€ GTX 750Ti has the same performance as the consoles at equivalent settings in Witcher 3, BF4, GTAV etc.) and that's where the issues crop up since the higher end settings aren't optimized. Same thing occurs for PC exclusives from time to time

This surprises me hmm

I mean it looks good on PS4 but i wouldn't have thought it would have been one of the better games visually.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:08 pm

It is graphically one of the most demanding games out there

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:48 pm

I won the silicone lottery. Alt-i-ett-pc-%ABsurround-pc%BB+fra+hp

I won the silicone lottery. Alt-i-ett-pc-%ABsurround-pc%BB+fra+hp
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:03 am

Some awesome things about this PC now that the main performance parts are bought; (still gonna upgrade to a 2GBs/1.5GBs M.2 SSD for boot and Raid 0 up my current SSD for games and get perhaps two 200EU 32GB ram kits for a 32GB* RAMdisk for instant loading on select games; when combating the bottleneck of data speeds I'm bringing out the heavy weaponry xD)

- There is no boot time. Literally 3 seconds of that spinning thing under windows logo screen then pin code screen. Type in pin code and because SSD I can start using windows whilst my hefty start up list boots up.

- I can all the setttings without a care in the world for at least the next two years. Nothing can describe that feeling.

- Silence. Even under max load the GPU fans are only at 50% and the watercooling setup is quiet af as well.

- WTF this multi-tasking. This PC hasn't done my browser habits any good because I'll end up with like 50 tabs open, multiple with 4k video or neverending reddit and not only does it handle that plus a game and my other software without a hic-up, if I close the browser... it's instant.

*which I could increase into the 50's as 10GB of RAM is more than enough. Instant loading massive RPG's? F yeah.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Only stumbled upon this thread just now.

First of all Phritz, I want to bang your PC. I want to squirt it full of my love juice.

Secondly, I might be coming to you guys around February, I'm considering a new PC, since mine is from 2010, and this time might go for an Intel, been with AMD for ages, but recently money is... Less of an issue.

That being said;
My 5 year old PC still does everything you described in your last post as being awesome.
With Win 10, it's really just the SSD doing the heavy lifting, the longest part of my boot process is the Bios figuring out how to come alive, and loading up the SATA controller so the actual booting can commence, after that it's like 3 seconds to the password prompt.

But silence... Yeah. People tend to skimp on the periphery. I don't. All the fans I slapped on the sucker are high end brands, because really, even the best fan systems only cost like 30 to 50 bucks, so unless you're watercooling, you'd be retarded to buy cheap.
Though admittedly this was my first properly silenced PC as well, and yeah it is awesome if you had one of those oldschool graphics cards that sound like a F-22 taking off.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:57 am

*Enters thread with high expectations.

* Leaves thread after realizing it's not about Gf's silicone tits.

I won the silicone lottery. 2s6rmmc
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:52 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Only stumbled upon this thread just now.

First of all Phritz, I want to bang your PC. I want to squirt it full of my love juice.

Secondly, I might be coming to you guys around February, I'm considering a new PC, since mine is from 2010, and this time might go for an Intel, been with AMD for ages, but recently money is... Less of an issue.

That being said;
My 5 year old PC still does everything you described in your last post as being awesome.
With Win 10, it's really just the SSD doing the heavy lifting, the longest part of my boot process is the Bios figuring out how to come alive, and loading up the SATA controller so the actual booting can commence, after that it's like 3 seconds to the password prompt.

But silence... Yeah. People tend to skimp on the periphery. I don't. All the fans I slapped on the sucker are high end brands, because really, even the best fan systems only cost like 30 to 50 bucks, so unless you're watercooling, you'd be retarded to buy cheap.
Though admittedly this was my first properly silenced PC as well, and yeah it is awesome if you had one of those oldschool graphics cards that sound like a F-22 taking off.

That feel when you're in the position of having to buy a new monitor because you get 170fps at 1080p on Battlefield 4.

So much first world problems, I have screen tearing on BF4 at max settings...
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Wed May 18, 2016 6:18 pm

The ability to take this screenshot costs more than a decent gaming PC Surprised (transferring from a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro to 2xRAID0 256GB OCZ Vector 180's)

I won the silicone lottery. E9186tt
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun May 29, 2016 12:15 am

Pics of the final build:

I won the silicone lottery. RVNkz8u
I won the silicone lottery. RQszesM
I won the silicone lottery. MHtbQ6X
I won the silicone lottery. N1Y5Fc5
I won the silicone lottery. C5jAuet
I won the silicone lottery. SiPTybD
I won the silicone lottery. ZBIZ6ws
I won the silicone lottery. HsoSaT2

Last edited by Phritz on Sun May 29, 2016 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun May 29, 2016 8:35 am

That is magnificent

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun May 29, 2016 5:51 pm

That is why I have such disdain for consoles Razz
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum